Once you get set up and comfortable in a senior community, you’re free to do whatever you want! The great thing about retirement is finally having the time to take on all the trips and projects you’ve been dreaming of. There’s no better time to do it than once you have a retirement facility taking care of the details, giving you more time and energy to plan a fun vacation from the usual day-to-day. We have a few suggestions for how you can make the most of all the fun travel you can finally prioritize:
- Be sure to review your health insurance policy and get a checkup before an extended or overseas trip. Even if you feel you are in good health, or will be in a familiar setting like a cruise, it’s a good idea to know exactly how your coverage extends to different service areas, or how your plan might cover things like a visit to a foreign hospital or an emergency helicopter.
- Stay well hydrated and watch your blood sugar. You’ll have more fun and get more out of your trip if you keep up your energy and don’t get dehydrated, both of which are easy to do while on the go or in dry environments like airplanes.
- Give yourself extra time to get from point A to point B. You might not be able to, much less want to, take that familiar drive to your hometown in one sixteen hour marathon like you did in your 20s. Rushing from airport terminal to airport terminal might not be as easy as it was a few years ago. Plan your journey accordingly, and don’t be afraid to break it up over several days, booking hotels at each stop so you can rest and get comfortable before continuing.
- Take time to stretch and move around. You don’t want a fun time marred by stiff joints, arthritis, or even a blood clot. It can be easy to just settle in for the long haul, but remembering to limber up will keep you fresh.
- Plan ahead for your dietary needs. Let the airline know if you need a special meal, talk to the family and friends you are meeting to make sure they have the foods you need in the refrigerator, and even pack some snacks for your journey. Food is very personal, so it’s important to have access to the things you like and help you feel your best.
Travel is a wonderful opportunity, and you can be sure to maximize your fun with forethought and clever packing. When so much of the fun is anticipating your trip, these pre-getaway preparations can help you get even more excited and will ensure you have the best time possible.